Why Workplace Wellness?
Investing in the health and wellbeing of your employees is vital to your business.
What are the 3 wins when when you choose to invest in a wellness program?
- Benefits to your employees: Your employees are healthier, happier and more engaged. Stress levels are down. Employees enjoy coming to work.
- Benefits to your customers: Your customers are delighted by the service they receive from your staff and want to do more business with you.
- Benefits to your company: Productivity and as a consequence profits, increase.
A Few Facts
According to a 2005 Medibank Private survey (1):
- Healthy employees are almost three times more productive than unhealthy employees.
- Unhealthy employees take 9 times more sick leave days per year than healthy workers.
- Lifestyle risk factors such as smoking, excessive drinking, poor diet, lack of physical activity and excess weight contribute to this time away from work.
- 72% of working-age Australians report multiple risk factors for chronic disease (2)
- In 2010, the cost of presenteeism to Australian business was estimated to be $34.1 billion dollars (3).
- 6.5 working days of productivity are lost on average per employee annually because of presenteeism (3).
- In 2010, the estimated cost of absenteeism to Australian businesses was $24 billion dollars (4).
- Workplace mental stress is now costing Australian businesses over 10 billion dollars per annum (5).
Click here to find out how healthy Australian workers are?
1. Medibank Private (2005). The Health of Australia’s Workforce
2. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare 2010, “ Risk factors and Participation in Work”, cited in Pricewaterhouse Coopers 2010, Workplace Wellness in Australia
3. Australian Industry Group 2012: Absenteeism and Presenteeism Survey Report 2012
4. Medibank 2011: Sick at work. The cost of presenteeism to your business and the economy
5. Safe Work Australia April 2013, www.swa.gov.au